AlexandraS

Chaos: The Making of a New Science
James Gleick
Staring At The Sun
Julian Barnes
Monster Love - Carol Topolski Monster Love is one of the rare books that actually presents a structure and a complete view of a subject, explaining it via different characters. We have "an event", and for the sake of the spoilers I won't name it. We also have the participants at this event, from the beginning to the end. They will all tell us their experiences, subjective as they are, but adding to a complete story nonetheless.
The author is a psychotherapist, and it shows through the realistic exposee of the characters and their motivations, presented like they would be part of an anthropological study. The fact that she can create diverse personalities in only a few pages (because each character gets only a few pages to explain themselves and how they contributed to "the event") is pretty remarkable.
This was an interesting read, but it loses points because the characters have too much drama going on. The book wants to explain why such events happen, which is not something that a study would do, a study only presents facts without drawing conclusions, but the book clearly wants to draw on the psychoanalysis view of the parent-child relationship and its effects, and I don't care much for the "Parents are always to blame" idea, perpetuated by most of this book's characters.